Yarra Junction is a town in Victoria, Australia, 55 km (34 mi) east from Melbourne’s central business district. It sits at the junction of the Yarra and Little Yarra Rivers. Its local government area is the Shire of Yarra Ranges. At the 2006 Census, Yarra Junction had a population of 1740.
The Post Office opened on 20 November 1901 [situated 100 metres east of the present PO], a week after the broad guage railway opened on the 13th November 1901..
The present Post Office became the Post Office  under Harold Price 24 November, 1942. The postal contact was transferred to Vincent Shortis 1 April 1957, then to Arnold Moore in the early 70’s and to John Purdie in 1982 
- Wet conditions in Main Street Yarra Junction, UYM collection
Origins of Place names by ‘Earle’.
When the Gold seekers and prospectors tramped along the “Williams Track” there was an area beyond Launching Place known as ‘The Black Swamp’. Here a track branched off and followed the ‘Little Yarra”. At this junction of the ways arose the township of Yarra Junction.
 Warburton Ways, Earle Parkinson, 1984.
An integral part of the history was timber extraction, the cut logs pulled by bullocks and the sawn timber on bogies pulled by horses on hardwood rails. The Shire of Upper Yarra granted permission to constuct the Powelltown Tramway, a three foot gauge line, between 1913 and 1945 from Powelltown to Yarra Junction . The large central mill at Powelltown sent most of its timber on the tramway “the claim will be appreciated that more cut timber passed through Yarra Junction than any other place in the world except Seattle on the Pacific coast of the United States” 
- On the way to Powelltown, J Naughton driver, M McLean fireman, 1914. UYM collection.
The Upper Yarra shire first met at Millgrove in 1889, then at the old Mechanics Hall in Warburton before moving to Yarra Junction to the hall in Main Street. New council chambers were erected in in the 1930s. On 15 December 1994, the Shire was abolished and merged with the Shires of Lillydale,Healesville and most of Sherbrooke to form the Shire of Yarra Ranges 
Upper Yarra Ambulance Service….xxxx
Yarra Junction Bush Nursing Hospital was officially opened 12 January, 1929, the plaque from the hospital is at the Upper Yarra Museum it reads ” Victorian Bush Nursing Association. This Hospital is a gift of Mr F G Connibere to the Association. January 1929″ xxx
UYHS constructed after WHES burnt down 1959…..xxx
It has four schools, Upper Yarra Secondary College, Yarra Junction Primary School, St Joseph’s Primary School and the Little Yarra Steiner School.
In addition to these schools, there is also a rural country campus for Caulfield Grammar School. The Yarra Junction Campus was established in 1949 and it was the first of its kind in Australia.
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Yarra Valley Mountain District Football League. Its most famous product was former Richmond premiership ruckman Jack Dyer, also known as Captain Blood, who grew up in the town before moving to Melbourne in his late teens for school.
- Main Street Yarra Junction, UYM collection